Sunday, January 17, 2010

Raffles Place Good Eats: Cafe Gluttony

Yesterday I had to put in a full day's work - yep on a Saturday! What to do, it's busy period at work for this RPOL! Lucky me, I have got my supportive Logong to keep me company in my office whenever I had to work alone in office. We both feel safer this way hehe...

To reward ourselves for working so hard on a Sat, we went to check out Cafe Gluttony at Boat Quay - or rather at the back of it. When we arrived, there was a table of six in the middle of the tiny restaurant, which is really one of the pre-war shophouses in the row facing OCBC Bank @ Chulia Street. There was only a lady serving and I do not think she is the regular waitress and neither is she the lady boss. The group of six seems to be friends / family because there's lots of chit-chat with this lady, and when asked the address and tel. no. she had to keep popping into the kitchen to ask the chef.

Having said that, I think the prompt and friendly service is all the more commendable seeing how she is not a professional. While we had to wait quite a while for our food - luckily we were not too hungry (it was only 6+pm), the food was served piping hot which was well worth the wait. For just $3 you get a drink + soup of the day, which was cream of broccoli last night. It was nice and thick, and we finished every drop!


Logong chose their popular Chicken Chop while I had the Daily Special - Grilled Salmon. While the Chicken Chop was nothing to shout about, the salmon was cooked just nice - well-done but not dry! Even as I cut the first piece the juice was still running. I will definitely return to try other dishes. As we planned to get a beer at the Archipelago around the corner, we skipped our fave Lavazza coffee ;)

Our 2 set meals set us back SGD23+ and there was no service charge / GST. For such prices in a nice cafe, I cannot ask for more really. I will be sure to go back to try their Tom Yam Spaghetti which was highly recommended by other diners online.

No comments:

Post a Comment