Sunday, January 23, 2011

Conspicuous Consumption

Conspicuous consumption, as defined in wikipedia, is "lavish spending on goods and services acquired mainly for the purpose of displaying income or wealth. In the mind of a conspicuous consumer, such display serves as a means of attaining or maintaining social status."

I look around me and this term pops up in my mind constantly - in Singapore shopping is deemed a national hobby (tying in first place with eating!) so it's no wonder you witness consumerism constantly. But what makes it "conspicuous" is the fact that the goods purchased have no intrinsic utility (value) - so would you buy XXX if no one knows about it?

After a whole year of prudent spending - only a short getaway, redeeming air miles for free air tickets to boot - we have decided to pamper ourselves and give in to temptation...


Yes Logong got me an iPad, not just the cover...hehe


My Christmas pressie Part I to Logong - to help him wake up better :P


Christmas pressie Part II to Logong: his latest craze - toy / retro cameras!






Delightful long tees from Uniqlo - Franche Lippée ...do these little red-hooded figures remind you of...



This picture is like my portrait - it never fails to bring a smile to my face! See the complete story on Logong's blog, The Content Guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment