Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hong Lim Market & Food Centre


Situated just on the outskirt of Chinatown near Chinatown Point, Hong Lim is a brisk 15-min walk from Raffles MRT. The Hong Lim Market and Food Centre are on two floors, with some traditional small shops selling goods like fresh fruit to traditional pastries and Chinese tea. The wet market on the ground floor is opened for business in the mornings, and because of the smell I try not to go near there hehe...as such we tend to eat on the 2nd floor. The famous food stalls here are the curry mee, Outram Char Kway Teow, Crayfish Ipoh Hor Fun, and most famously, Hokkien Prawn Mee (the soup / dry type, not fried.) However over the years, as the old cooks retire, the standard of hawker food here has dropped. However we still venture here from time to time just for something different from the usual food places in Raffles Place.

Spotted a long queue outside this new "Barcook Bakery" (pardon the bad shot but too many people were staring so this was a sneak pic hehe). The savoury buns here look just like those offered in fancier bakery chains, so I wonder what's the attraction. We were too full and did not feel like joining the crowd - it's just bread right?



My colleagues like to come to this nostalgic tidbits shop Hock Lam because their specialty seems to be China-imported candies and such. Remember our childhood favourite Rabbit Milk sweets? You would be surprised to know they come in many flavours these days, and I see them all right here first hehe...I think the shop also carries Chinese tea, Macau almond cookies etc.

If you need some dried seafood 海味 or Chinese herbs, do not miss this modern Chinese medical hall Sin Teck Soon (I translated the name from Chinese ). Since I was a kid, my mom has been patronising the various branches of this family business all over Chinatown. Different family members run each shop these days, and I am sure for a bargain-hunter like mom to approve, their prices and quality must be reasonable & reliable.

My all-time favourite indulgence whenever I come to Hong Lim has surely got to be this:




Kim Hock Guan bak kua or BBQ pork jerky! My dad used to buy from this generations-old shop when I was young, so I am keeping the tradition alive in memory of him. A must-have during Chinese New Year, bak kua is an utterly sinful snack's price will soar as it draws nearer to the big day. Famous shops will see people queueing for 4-5 hours just to get their favourite meat fix. Being Mrs El Cheapo, I am buying some before the prices go up, just to satisfy our craving in the event we are not getting any during CNY. Whoever says you must fight with the masses and pay through the nose during CNY for bak kua? During the rest of the year, the meat is better prepared (not rushed) and cheaper I feel! So let's eat smarter eh?

Speaking of Chinese New Year, I better get started on my spring cleaning! Only 2 weekends left!

No comments:

Post a Comment