Saturday, September 26, 2009

Singtel Singapore Grand Prix Formula 1 Night Race


Last year, the inaugural Singtel Singapore Grand Prix Formula 1 Night Race (oh gosh what a mouthful!) took place from 26 - 28 Sep 2008. It's frightening how times flies because a year has zoomed by (pun intended) and we are hosting the second F1 Night Race again!

I am very privileged because I get to "enjoy" the race in the cool comfort of my office - for free! My office is just next to The Fullerton Hotel, which means we get the bird's eye view of the most part of the course:

This was taken on the 2nd night of the race, 27 Sep 2008.

Here's what the same part of the course looked like on 25 Sep 2009, 1 year on in the day:


The course is the perfect route right in the heart of historic Singapore; I wonder if the drivers or visitors appreciate all these national monuments like the City Hall. From watching the race on TV, I realise the drivers could not see much other than the road and the safety fences. How sad if these drivers get to travel all over the world racing in the most vibrant cities of the world, but not see the cities, you know?

It was interesting to see the course being readied in mere days, and I share with you some interesting images right from my office. My Logong says the Singapore CBD has come to a standstill just for these three days:

Can you spot the guy enjoying his million-dollar view?

These workers at the nearby construction site enjoying a VIP viewing location from above 40 storeys I guess!

Note the 3 pleasure crafts on the Singapore River in front of The Esplanade. Wonder if any super star was on any of the yachts?

The sharpest turn / corner has got to be this one right in front of The Fullerton Hotel (and my office!) Most cars would have to slow down to manoeuvre this bend which means eye candy for spectators!

I really hope we will not move office next year; where else could we view the National Day fireworks and the Grand Prix for free every year? It is kind of hazy this weekend and I hope the situation improves, not just for the Grand Prix but for the greater good. Already we are questioning if it is worth the hassle and inconvenience for almost a week, just to attract visitors to Singapore for these 3 days. The road closures and diversions must be causing unimaginable traffic jams; I know of people who work in the Suntec area taking Friday and Monday off just to avoid the madness caused by this race. We Singaporeans are only patient when it comes to queuing up for good food and condos; we simply cannot stand being stuck in traffic jams for more than 90 mins! Haha!

By the way I was not enjoying the race last night even though I was in my office till 11.30pm; I was busy meeting deadlines! How pathethic right? I would have gone home by 6pm if I could! Never knew it could be so noisy till I experienced it last year! WROOM!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment