Sunday, February 08, 2009

"Pei Dan Jok" or Century Egg Pork Porridge =)

"Pei Dan Jok" or Century Egg Pork Porridge is my Hubby's all-time fave breakfast (or lunch) food. If you bring him to have dim sum, just give him this and a char siew bun and he's a happy boy! Quite easy to please eh?

I decided to make my mom's very own recipe and got mom to help me get the raw pork (I have a phobia of handling raw meat, so I hope Logong you appreciate this!) + century egg from the market days before CNY. Mom told me with some bones added, the dish (be it porridge / soup) will be "sweeter" & tastier. After much delay (I had not realised meat takes so long to defost!) I managed to cook this for Logong on 31 Jan 2009.

So here you go, the ingredients:



Please refer to my post on how to deal with the century egg which could be really strange if it's your first time seeing / hearing about it haha!

You will need to marinate the meat with lots of salt (preferably overnight, or at least 2-3 hours before cooking). Then about 2-3 hours before you start cooking, add some oil to the rice to "condition" it. I use about 1 tbsp of oil to 1/2 (half) cup of rice (I chose Japanese just for fun, and you could use Thai Jasmine rice). You may also soak the dried scallops to soften them.



When ready to cook, boil some hot water to scald the meat; discard the water as this step serves to clean the meat and remove any unpleasant meat smell / taste. Into a pot, add the rice, pork and scallops. Fill half the pot with water (about 10 times the volume of rice you are cooking) and bring to a boil over high heat. When the water is boiling, lower heat to let the porridge simmer. At this point it looks like you are going to have rice soup (I warned my Hubby because I feared I had added too much water!) but be patient.

Meanwhile you can go prepare the century egg, which I have detailed in a separate post.

After about 30-40 mins, your pot's contents should look like porridge! If it's too thick, add some water! If too watery still, continue to simmer and let the liquid reduce. The thickness of porridge is very much to individual taste, so you have to judge for yourself here.



Remove the meat (not the bones!) from the pot and cut the meat into bite-sized pieces. I like to use scissors because it's easier! Put these meat pieces back into the porridge; You can now add the chopped century egg into the porridge mixture too. Let the mixture simmer for about 10-15mins more till you get the preferred consistency; you may also wish to taste your porridge now for the salt level. Because the meat has been salted overnight, by right you do not need to add any; however this is to personal taste, so add accordingly.



Voila, here's the completed "Pei Dan Jok"!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment