Sunday, February 01, 2009

Learning To Cook 101: Breakfasts!

I am blessed with a mother who is a great cook; the irony is none of her three children could cook (well)! However ever since my sister-in-law moved in with my mom after I got married, all of us are slowly interested in learning to cook from mom because it took my sis-in-law to make us appreciate mom's cooking knowledge. I've always loved to bake more than cook; as we grow older, we also realised home-cooked food really is a luxury and before we know it, once my mom is too old to cook, all these family dishes would be lost forever! Problem is, the kitchen is always the domain (kingdom) of the mothers -- this is true of everyone I know! Just as there's a Chinese saying that one mountain cannot be inhabited by two tigers, no kitchen can be ruled by two "queens". We had to do things exactly the way mom wanted or else it's scolding time! Therefore it was always easier to just stay out of the kitchen! After I got married, we stayed with my in-laws, so it goes without saying who dominates there...

So you could say with my own home and kitchen now, and a new oven and Kitchen Aid mixer to boot, I have no excuse not to bake and cook anymore! Without further ado, let me share with you what I cooked for Logong today for breakfast (err... brunch)! The very first sumptous breakfast I had cooked for Logong was the day after we "officially" moved into our own flat. Here you go:



This was my attempt to cook the lovely hot breakfasts we ate almost daily when we were in Tasmania, Australia for our honeymoon in 2003. There's always a nice grilled tomato (substituted by fresh cherry tomatoes here) and sauteed mushrooms which I love. The eggs and sausages make this a power-packed (and arteries-clogging!) breakfast which gave us enough energy to go exploring the rest of our days! If you look at the time stamp on this pic, this was actually our brunch *LOL*

Today, I cooked eggs and mushrooms for Logong and he ate everything; this makes me really happy, but it was the way he ate all my century egg pork porridge ("Pei Dan Jok")yesterday which really warms my heart :) I learnt from mom how to cook this fave dish of Logong's; supposed to cook this during the CNY holidays but I did not expect the meat to take so long to defrost, so I could only cook it yesterday. Please see my next post for my yummy "Pei Dan Jok"! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment