Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Raffles Place Good Eats: Viet Cafe

Located in the basement of 6 Battery Road, Viet Cafe's entrance is along Battery Road opposite Straits Trading Building. For the past 2 years, the shop front was bare which was why I thought the cafe had closed down; these billboards were only put back up late last year and then I remembered my favourite Vietnamese noodles and lemongrass chicken here!

I brought an overseas colleague here for lunch last October and was happy to note the menu and taste of the food have largely remained the same. So 2 weeks ago I met up with an old friend here again - I was surprised he even knew this cafe, let alone liked it enough to suggest lunch here!
We both ordered the beef noodle soup (non-spicy) and the set came with the lemongrass chicken side, as well as a choice of drinks. Again we both opted for the sourplum soda - deliciously refreshing! We also ordered the fresh (not friend) spring roll, a typical Vietnamese dish.

Normally I would have chosen the dry vermicelli from Viet Cafe but I wanted to try out other dishes and so chose the classic beef noodle soup. It was alright, not fantastic but not bad either. I guess I still prefer the more flavourful dry vermicelli.

This meal cost us less than SGD 45, so I think each set meal was around SGD 20. The portion served was generous, so if you wanted to give yourself a treat, or want to have a nice place to eat and catch up with old friends or ex-colleagues, this is quite a nice place for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment